Today I have new “Tomato Upma” recipe with full step by step photos tutorial, enjoy this tangy upma recipe with full on flavors from tomatoes and spices.
Upma and poha are two dishes which people make regularly as they both are east to prepare. Today’s recipe is in my spicy recipe collection. You can also serve it with a side of lemon pickle or lemon wedges you can also use coconut chutney.
Tomato upma recipe Ingredients : Tomato upma recipe
RECIPE TYPE : breakfast, brunch, snack
CUISINE : South Indian
PREP TIME : 10 mins COOK TIME: 20 mins TOTAL TIME: 30 mins
- Sooji/rawa/cream of wheat : 1 cup
- Ghee or Oil : 2 tbsp
- mustard seeds (Rai) : 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds/jeera : 1 tsp
- Urad Dal/husked split black gram : 1 tsp
- Chana dal/husked split bengal gram : 1 tsp
- chilies/sukhi lal mirch, broken and deseeded : 1 or 2 dry red
- a pinch of asafoetida/hing
- Onion/pyaaz, 1 medium onion, chopped or ⅓ cup chopped onions : 50 grams
- tomatoes/tamatar, 2 medium to large tomatoes or ¾ cup chopped tomatoes : 150 grams
- Green chilies, chopped : 1 or 2
- ½ inch ginger/adrak, chopped or 1 tsp chopped ginger
- 6 to 7 curry leaves/kadi patta, chopped
- Turmeric powder/haldi powder : ¼ tsp
- Red chilli powder/lal mirch powder (can also add vangi bath powder or bisi bele bath powder) : ¼ to ½ tsp
- 2.5 cups water
- Salt as required
- 1 to 2 tsp ghee for drizzling on top, optional
1. Heat the pan/kadai first than add 1 cup rava or cream of wheat.
2. Now start a low flame to start roast the rava stir it while roasting the rava.
3. The rava or sooji grains will start to look dry and you will get the fragrant of it. Don’t let rava brown the. It will take around 3 to 4 minutes.
4. Now Switch-off the flame and then add the roasted rava in a plate and keep aside.
5. Now take 2 TBSP Ghee in new pan.
6. Than add 1 tsp mustard seeds.
7. When the mustard seeds are crackling, reduce the flame and add 1 tsp cumin seeds along with 1 tsp chana dal and 1 tsp urad dal.
8. Now Stir and Saute them on a low flame.
9. Let them Saute till both the urad dal and chana dal become golden. Keep eyes on it, don’t let burn the dals.
10. Add 1 or 2 dry red chilies and a pinch of asafoetida & stir well.
11. Now add ⅓ cup chopped onions.
12. Stir and start to saute the onions on a low to medium flame.
13. Saute the onions till they turn translucent.
14. Now add 1 or 2 green chilies (chopped), ½ inch ginger (chopped) and 6 to 7 curry leaves (chopped). saute for half a minute.
15. Now add ¾ cup chopped tomatoes.
16. Stir it well.
17. Now add ¼ tsp turmeric powder and ¼ to ½ tsp red chilli powder. You can also add ¼ to ½ tsp vangi bath powder or bisi bele bath powder instead of red chilli powder.
18. Mix it very well and saute the tomatoes on a low to medium flame.
19. Saute till the tomatoes becomes soft.
20. Now add 2.5 cups water into this mixture.
21. add salt as per your taste.
22. On a medium to high flame, heat the water and let it come to a rolling boil.
23. When the water comes to a rolling boil, lower the flame to its lowest. then add the rava in 4 to 5 batches directly from the plate or with a spoon
24. As soon as you add the first batch, immediately stir and mix very well
25. Now add the next batch of rava.
26. Stir again. this way keep on adding and stirring the rava up to the last batch.
27. The rava grains absorb water and thus swell and get cooked. Quickly stir them, so that lumps are not formed. Now cover and allow the rava upma to steam for 2 to 3 minutes on low flame.
28. Then switch off the flame. here the rava is cooked and the upma is ready.
29. Lastly add about 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves. mix again.
30. Drizzle ½ tsp of ghee on each serving and serve tomato upma hot with coconut chutney or lemon pickle or lemon wedges.…